Created and prepared by Sylvia Bower and Granddaughter Jessica Turner. Won Second Prize in the Land O Lakes® Sweet Treat Championship at the Ohio State Fair – 1998. The Fair recipe was with regular flour, but it was created as Gluten Free so I know they are good.
- 1 1/2 cups G F Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (one stick) Land O Lakes margarine®
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl combine flour, salt, cocoa, baking soda. Blend well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugars, margarine and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg, beating well.
- Stir in flour mixture until blended. Refrigerate while making filling.
- In a small bowl, combine peanut butter and powdered sugar and blend well.
- Using you hands, form 20 one to two inch balls of the filling. (they expand while baking).
- To make the Buckeyes, shape about one teaspoon of dough into a round flat patty.
- Place a filling ball in the center and ease the dough around it, covering it completely.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, placing the balls about two inches apart.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until set.
- Remove immediately and roll in powdered sugar.