Makes 14 to 16 bars
Adding lemon zest or extract to the bars themselves, adds an extra zing to the flavor (use the greater amount if you can’t get enough citrus), but can be omitted if you prefer subtle lemon notes.
- 1 5.5-ounce package Lucy’s Lemon Goodness cookies
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 cup gluten-free oats (quick or whole)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon zest or ½ to 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract, optional
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- Lively Lemon Icing
- 2 teaspoons coconut butter
- 1 Tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Generous pinch ground turmeric (for color)
- To make the granola bars, grease or line a 9×9-inch baking dish with parchment paper (a 9×13-inch is okay, too, but will produce thinner bars). Grease the flat bottom of a measuring cup.
- Place the cookies in a plastic bag, seal, and smash with a mallet or similar food item into coarse crumbs and small chunks. Add the cookies to a large bowl with the crispy cereal and oats, and stir to combine.
- Whisk the honey, lemon zest or extract (if using), vanilla, and salt together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Insert a candy thermometer and let bubble (no stirring) until it reaches 250°. Immediately remove from the heat and stir in the coconut butter until smooth.
- Quickly scrape the coconut-honey mixture onto the dry ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine. Pour the mixture into your prepared dish, and using the greased measuring cup, firmly press it in until even. Let cool 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To make the icing, whisk the coconut butter, lemon juice and powdered sugar together in a small bowl until smooth. Add the turmeric, if using—it doesn’t notably alter the flavor, so you can use an extra pinch if it isn’t yellow enough for your liking.
- Cut the cooled bars as desired, into squares or skinny rectangles, and drizzle with the icing. If the icing firms up too quickly, heat it in the microwave for about 15 seconds and whisk.