- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans (or 1 15 oz can, drained)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 4 Tbsp chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- Salt or gluten-free tamari to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fine ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine cooked rice, beans, scallions, 2 Tbsp cilantro, cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic granules, salt (or tamari), and pepper to taste in food processor. Process until combined.
- Add egg and continue to process until well combined. The mixture will be very soft. Transfer to bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Form bean mixture into 4 large patties. Sprinkle evenly on both sides with cornmeal. Add cakes to hot oil.
- Gently fry the cakes about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro.