- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- One 16-ounce box gluten-free penne
- One 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more
- For the meatballs:
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together the chicken, pumpkin, Parmesan, onion, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into balls using a tablespoon and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400° and spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- For the casserole:
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Reserve 1/3 cup pasta water and drain.
- Toss the pasta with the marinara sauce and pasta water in a large bowl.
- Transfer to the greased baking dish. Nestle the meatballs into the pasta.
- Top with the mozzarella and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve with grated Parmesan