- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups pineapple
- 3 medium carrot, grated
- 2 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten free
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 medium orange
- 1 cup green peas, frozen
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- Place rinsed and drained brown rice in a medium pot with 3 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer, covered, until water is evaporated and rice is tender.*
- Cook chicken breasts.
- Cut pineapple into bite size pieces. Peel and grate carrots, slice celery; chop onion.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a very large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and grated carrots to the pan, and fry until translucent and tender, about ten minutes.
- Add the celery, and fry a few minutes more, until it’s bright green and tender crisp.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil and juice from one orange.
- Add the cooked rice to the frying pan along with the cooked chicken, pineapple, peas and sauce. Toss the fried rice to coat it with the sauce, then taste and adjust seasonings. Top with cashews.
- Serve with chopped cilantro as a garnish, and Sriracha sauce for grownups (or kids!!) who like it hot.
*If you’re using same-day cooked rice, spread the hot cooked rice on a cookie sheet to let it dry out for about a half hour before you fry