- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeded
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey or lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons Gluten-free taco seasoning mix (from 1 oz package) ( ortega)
- 1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (1 oz)
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato (1/2 small)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat 6 cups water to boiling. Add bell pepper halves; boil 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 8-inch nonstick skillet, cook ground turkey and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until turkey is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix, kidney beans and tomato sauce. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In ungreased 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish, arrange pepper halves. Spoon turkey mixture evenly into each.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until peppers are tender. Top individual servings with sour cream, cheese and tomato.
- Makes 2 servings (2 pepper halves each)