“This alternative to rice pairs buckwheat with bacon to create a meaty-tasting side dish.”
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup uncooked medium roasted buckwheat groats
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the shallots and garlic; cook until softened and light brown.
- Add the bacon pieces and buckwheat; cook and stir until the buckwheat turns orangeish brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed and the buckwheat is tender,13 to 15 minutes.
- Toss with the parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.