- 1/4 pound bacon
- 1 cup fresh GF bread crumbs
- 2 large Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 4 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 -inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 ounces sharp white Cheddar, grated, about 1 1/2 cups
- Render bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the bread crumbs to a small bowl. Remove 2 Tablespoons of the bacon fat from the skillet and stir into the bread crumbs.
- Add the onion rounds to the skillet in batches and cook, without breaking the rounds apart, until there is some golden color, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- To assemble the gratin, overlap the green tomato slices in 1 row in a large baking dish about 9 by 11 inches.
- Next, make a row slightly overlapping of the partially cooked onion rounds, being careful to keep the slices intact.
- Repeat steps until all tomatoes and onions are used.
- Season tomatoes and onions lightly with salt and heavily with pepper.
- Crumble the bacon over the vegetables; sprinkle the grated Cheddar over the top followed by the bread crumbs.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 30-45 minutes. If the top is getting too brown, loosely cover with foil.