- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the dish
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- kosher salt
- 6 oz. pecans (about 2/3 c.), roughly chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375°. Place the sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack and place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack beneath. Roast until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Cut a slit in the tops to release the steam and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, butter a 3-quart baking dish. In a bowl, combine the sugar, cayenne and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Toss with the pecans and melted butter; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and purée in a food processor until completely smooth. Add the eggs, syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, and pulse to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish, sprinkle the pecan mixture over the top and bake until the sweet potatoes are set, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.