- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 medium potatoes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, thick stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup grated Jarlsberg or other white cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Heat 1 Tbsp of butter and the olive oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Remove from heat and arrange a third of the potatoes in a single layer in the skillet
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with a third of the Swiss chard leaves.
- Sprinkle a third of the cheese over the chard.
- Repeat layers twice more in the same way, ending with the cheese.
- Cut the remaining Tbsp of butter into small pieces and dot them over the cheese.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake until the potatoes are easily pierced with the tip of a knife, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Slice wedges and serve.