- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds onions thinly sliced (7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons GF flour
- 4-13 oz cans beef stock
- 1-13 oz can chicken stock
- Melt butter with oil in large sauce pan. Stir in onions and 1 teaspoon salt. cook over low heat for 20-30 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and cook 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate pot, bring stock to simmer then pour into onions.
- Cook soup on low hear partially covered, for another 30-40 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- 12-16 one inch slices of GF bread
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil cheese
- 1 clove garlic, cut
- 1 cup Swiss & Parmesan grated cheese (combined)
Directions Croutons and to finish soup:
- Heat oven to 325°.
- Make croutons while soup simmers
- Bake bread slices on baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Coat both sides of bread with olive oil and turn over and bake other side for another 15 minutes.
- After baking rub each slice with cut garlic clove.
- Cut into cubes and let sit.
- Put croutons into individual oven safe bowls and ladle soup into bowl over croutons.
- Spread cheese on top.
- Sprinkle a little olive oil over cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes until cheese melts.
- put under broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown cheese if desired.
(note: You can substitute packaged GF croutons.)