- 1 small onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1-2 carrots
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 – 15 ounce cans white beans
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 11 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Set a large 6-8 quart stock pot over medium heat. Add the butter, onions, peppers, carrots, and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the whole chicken breasts, beans, chiles, broth, all herbs and spices, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chicken breasts are cooked through, pull them out of the soup with tongs. Add the corn to the soup. Use a fork to shred the chicken into small pieces. Add the shredded chicken back to the soup.
- Stir. Then taste the soup. Season with more salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm!