- 1 large eggplant, stemmed and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 cups low-carb prepared marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano leaves or 2 teaspoons
- dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 cups grated fat-free cheese, such as Parmesan
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°.
- Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Lay the eggplant slices on the baking tray and spray their tops lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake, turning once, until the slices begin to soften and brown, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Set over medium heat and add the ground turkey, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook, stirring often, until the meat loses its raw, pink color and browns a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the marinara sauce; stir in the oregano and fennel seeds. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Layer the eggplant slices and turkey marinara sauce in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake until bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.