- 4 cups uncooked rice
- 1-1/3 cups sunflower kernels
- 1-1/3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl mix well. Place 1-3/4 cups rice mix in each of 4 air-tight containers or zip-top plastic bags. Makes 4 rice mixes.
- Preparation instructions: Combine 1 rice mix, 2 cups water (use 1-3/4 cups water for medium or short grain rice, 2-1/2 cups water for brown rice), and 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (optional) in 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes (45 minutes for brown rice), or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork. Makes 6 servings.
Make Your Own Rice Mixes Great Gifts Great Time Saver
Creative Packaging Ideas for Rice Mixes
Just as fun as making rice mixes, is selecting pretty containers to hold them. Here are some simple and creative ways to package rice mixes. After you have filled the container, attach a label, instructions for preparing the mix, and a recipe for making more.
- Brown lunch sack – Place rice mix in zip-top plastic bag and place inside brown lunch sack with recipe card. Fold down the top of the sack and tie with plaid ribbon and a sprig of holly.
- Decorative tin – For a quick packaging solution, place rice mix and recipe card in a decorative tin. Trim with ribbon and bow.
- Glass jar – Place rice mix in a beautiful glass jar. Trim with pinecones, evergreen twigs or tiny ornaments, and recipe card.
- Cellophane bag – Place rice mix in a cellophane bag. Trim with gold ribbon and recipe card.
- Canning jar – Place rice mix in a canning jar. Trim with ribbon, a wooden spoon, and recipe card.
- Chinese “to go” carton – Place rice mix in zip-top plastic bag and place inside a Chinese “to go” carton with recipe card. Adorn with ribbon, evergreen or tiny ornaments.
- Cloth bag – Place rice mix in zip-top plastic bag. Place plastic bag into homemade cloth bag and trim with twine or ribbon and recipe card. To make bag: fold 11 ½” x 11 ½” fabric in half. With a ½” seam allowance, sew one short side and remaining long side. Turn right side out. Trim unfinished edge with pinking shears. Punch hole in recipe card. Thread twine or ribbon through hole in card and tie bow around the top of the bag.